This is a post about Weight Management - if you are not interested in reading,
please go ahead and simply look at the photo of the cute little chipmunk
stuffing his little face to 'bulk up' for the winter
and then carry on to the next blog... :)
In the spirit of other's resolutions of 'getting healthy'
and piggy backing on blog friend Betsy's (Joyful Reflections) post today
whose thoughts and experiences reflect mine including;
- History of being able to lose weight but not keeping it off for any length of time
- Starting a new life style change in April of 2011 (I didn't realize we started at the same time Betsy!)
- Losing the weight slowly (statistically - the faster it comes off, the faster it comes back on); it took me 18 months to lose 67 lbs - basically a pound a week - I've been pretty much the same weight now for a year (the longest time for me EVER!)
- Keeping a food journal (mine is by utilizing Weight Watchers On-line) every day (I spend no more than 2 minutes a day tracking since it's all electronic and it's on my computer, my ipad and my android phone) - I spend longer cleaning my teeth every day - LOVE MY TEETH! (3 years of braces and retainers will do that to a person...)
- Tracking my daily steps (love my fitbit!)
- Losing weight for yourself - your own health - not for anyone else
Now, I shall add my 2 cents (errr...Canada no longer has pennies...)
5 cents in about weight loss management and
what I did differently this time and what has helped me:
- Take photos of yourself in your 'knickers' at your heaviest weight to refer back to when you feel the urge to give up (TIP: Hide the photos deep deep deep in your computer files so that NO ONE ever finds them!!! GAAAK!)
- Talk to your Doctor and a nutritionalist about your health concerns and weight loss challenges - be open and honest with them - they are there to help!
- Write down all your health problems that 'magically' disappear as you lose weight - sleep apnea, sore hips/knees, heart burn, tiredness, etc. - refer to them when you feel the urge to give up
- Find a good friend who is in the same 'healthy mind/healthy body zone' as you are (Hey Penny!!)
- Don't deprive yourself of any food (except the really bad food you shouldn't be eating anyways) - I eat carbs breakfast, lunch and supper and I eat chocolate every day - oh yes I do!! New favorite right now is Lindt individual squares - 3 chocolates = 2 WW pts!
- Take photos of yourself in your 'knickers' as you reach each weight-loss milestone to refer back to when you feel the urge to give up - note how your 'knickers' get smaller and prettier (TIP: Hide the photos deep deep deep in your computer files so that NO ONE ever finds them!)
- Find activities that you enjoy (I started with simply walking, then added Just Dance games for wii, bought a treadmill, and then you know I love me my weighted hula-hoop!)
- Fill your ipod or mp3 player with 'get moving, feel good' music - update it often - when you walk or exercise, you keep going as you want to hear the next song!
- Eat at least 2 snacks a day but usually 3 - LOTS of fruit - snacks with healthy, natural ingredients - one of my favorites is Kashi snack bars - (Mocha Almond bar? What? More chocolate? Yes please!! And only 3 WW pts!) Never let yourself get hungry!
- Take photos of yourself in your 'knickers' at your goal weight to refer back to when you feel the urge to give up - note how your 'knickers' are teeny tiny and super sexy (TIP: Don't hide these photos too deep in your computer files - let your husband use your computer once in awhile...)
- Accept the fact that putting your health first is a DAILY CONSCIOUS CHOICE EVERY SINGLE DAY for the REST OF YOUR LIFE and REALIZE that YOU are WORTH IT!
Now, if you are done reading
please go ahead and look at the photo of the cute little chipmunk
stuffing his little face to 'bulk up' for the winter and remember that
WE ARE NOT CHIPMUNKS...there will be more food tomorrow. :)