Friday, October 21, 2011

Project Me ~ NOT The End But A New Beginning

So there I was on January 1, 2011
back at my original weight
again
my biggest clothes tight
again
starting over
again

but I had made a promise to myself last year
and I made a decision that
I didn't want to give up
again




I decided that I needed to start exercising
but what?
I had skads of exercise equipment

Suzanne Somers Thighmaster
Mini-trampoline
the ShakeWeight as seen on Ellen
(umm...OK...this one was bought for me by my mom as a joke...I think)
weighted hola-hoop
Richard Simmons Sweatin' To The Oldies
various weights
tension rope


while all of these things did work
when I used them
they somehow over time
got shoved under my bed and forgotten about
(what??? they don't work sitting under my bed collecting dust???)


I decided I needed a piece of equipment that would
stare me down every day
(or at least 4 times a week)
so with Stanley in tow
we went out and bought a
recumbent bike on January 4/11


I used it fairly regularly
but my weight still wasn't moving
I was still not eating enough
and now was also burning up calories
that my body wanted to keep




on April 1, 2011
(April Fool's Day seemed like as good a day as any)
I joined Weight Watchers On-line
(third best thing I ever did)
and enrolled in their new
PointsPlus Program
all the fruit and (most) vegetables
you could eat and not use any points
which was actually originally a problem for me
as somedays I (still) struggle to eat enough points
(it seems so odd I know...but it's true)
short of sitting down and eating a
big ol' tub of ice cream!!!

it came off slow
painfully slow
some weeks 2 lbs
other weeks 1/2 lb
sometimes nothing for 3 weeks in a row

the weeks I wasn't losing anything
it was because I hadn't eaten enough
(Weight Watcher's tracking system is so darn handy!)

I have lost 32 pounds
in 29 weeks
I am at the goal weight I chose for myself
(BTW - I have been in consultation with my Doctor through all of this)

according to BMI and Weight Watchers
I am still 20 pounds overweight
but I am not paying attention to those numbers
I am paying attention to what feels right for me

I am eating 5 times a day
(and that is sometimes very hard to do)
1400 to 1600 calories a day
I am riding the recumbent bike
(while watching Cher's Final Tour DVD ~ OMG that woman's body!!)
walking
or dancing
(just bought "Just Dance 3" for wii - LOVE IT!)
at least 4 - 5 times a week
for 40 - 50 minutes
I still eat out once in awhile
I still have treats once in awhile
(mmm...mini big turks and chocolate covered pretzels)


it was hard to find a 'before' photo of me
the best thing about always being the photographer
is that you are always behind the camera


if you are setting up photos
you can strategically place yourself
behind people and things
or you can simply delete them
if you don't find them flattering
(and you don't have time to photoshop yourself thin...ha!)


but I did find a few unflattering photos
that didn't find their way to
my computer's 'trash bin'
(I can't believe I am showing these...)




and here I am today
(no photoshopping in these photos!!!)
46 years old
(OMG ~ could I look any more like my mother???  When she was MUCH younger of course!! Ha!)
wearing the smallest size pair of jeans
(shirt tucked in I might add...haven't done that in years!)
than I have worn since I was married
(yet I am 15 lbs heavier... how odd...)






most people and statistics
would still classify me as 'over weight'
but I feel better then I have in years
and that is all I care about

they say when you lose weight
you should get rid of all your old clothes
I've never done that before
I've always held onto them
'just in case'


they are all out of my closet
and are being picked up by
Community Living within the next couple weeks

they say when you reach your goal
you should tell everyone
I guess because it's harder to
quietly slip back to your old habits
when you have shouted out your weight loss to everyone 

so I am sharing my story with you my friends
in the hopes that it helps me
keep my promise to myself
to take care of my health
to take care of me


that's what it is about this time
not the weight
but rather the health
the weight loss was a fringe benefit


"I can not change the direction of the wind.  But I can adjust my sails."
~ unknown



Thank you for reading my story.



xo Catherine


51 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

hurray!!!!! wow!!! fabulous!!!! and truly, to concentrate on the health rather than size or weight is more fulfilling, i believe! yay!!!

TexWisGirl said...

(and i see my mother or my older sisters in my face all the time!!!)

Sandra said...

i think you were beautiful in the first set and i wish i was that size and looked that good. the second set you look fantastic. and i believe the exercise and 5 meals a day is the way to go. hubby and i have been on 5 meals a day since last thanksgiving, he is down 28 pounds and me 22 he is where he needs to be and i am way far away. but we are doing what you did and eating healthy not dieting and we have been able to do it for almost a year. good for you losing the old clothes, i did that my whole life, saving them just in case.
and if you think you look like your mother, give yourself 20 more years and you will be shocked, because i am 20 years older than you and when i look in the mirror my mother is there and sometimes so is her sister.
congrats on the New You and thanks for sharing, your story is inspiring to me.

S. Etole said...

Looking great! And for all the right reasons. Congratulations on your perseverance.

Teresa Evangeline said...

Thank you sooo much for sharing your story, Cat. You are beautiful no matter what weight, but you look fabulous with your white shirt tucked into those jeans. You are an inspiration to me. I lost 35lbs. on WW years ago, and need to do so again. Post-menopause has really packed it on. I am going to consider joining and get my butt in gear, walk or dance. I have a disco CD that would be perfect and was originally bought for that purpose. Again, thank you for telling your story. Very refreshing. In every way!

Kerri said...

You look beautiful! (before and after) and what a lovely mother you have if you look like her :) I always think that is the best compliment someone can pay me - is to say I look like my Mom!!

Congratulations!!!!!!

BeadedTail said...

No matter what size you are, you are beautiful! You look wonderful in your jeans and white shirt tucked in! :) Thank you for sharing your story Catherine. You are an inspiration! I'll remember your story when I don't want to go get on that evilliptical downstairs!

Linda@VS said...

Congratulations, Catherine! When you first started posting about "Project Me," I assumed you were just beginning this journey, but you're well into it and you look amazing. As for how you feel now, isn't that the best news ever?!! And as for looking like your mother, enjoy that while it lasts. These days it's my grandmother I see when I look in the mirror.

LĂșcia said...

Catherine, you are a winner!
You must be very proud of yourself, I'm sure your experience is an inspiration for many people (including me)!
You look beautiful (and very chic) and confident in the shots! :)

BumbleVee said...

looking good Cat!!

Christine said...

don't worry about those last pounds having more energy and feeling good is the main goal now, since working full time and sitting a lot, I feel I have no energy even though my cloths feel the same, not good

Brian said...

Well look at you! But we think you look great no matter what. Have a happy weekend!!!

cathy@home said...

Catherine Well done I agree with everyone you look great

GreatGranny said...

Girl, you've done so good and you look good too. I'm glad I kept my smaller clothes, because I lost quite a bit as well, just by changing my eating habits. Maybe I should go to WW online and maybe get past the 'plateau'. Keep it up, Cathering, works for you.

Fuzzy Tales said...

Kudos to you, Catherine, for your persistence in making a life change and for the results! Though for the record, you're lovely in both sets of photos--before and after!

missing moments said...

So awesome! You look great and you are right about letting everyone know. It does help!
I'm beginning the journey myself of losing 25 pounds before my 60th B/d next August. And the goal will be to keep it off!!!

Anesha said...

Wow, Catherine, well done!!!!! Love your photos, you look great. Glad you are feeling better in yourself. Enjoy your weekend. Hugs Anesha :)

Becca said...

Awesome Catherine! Congratulations! You look fabulous my friend. We are the same age, and I wish I had the will power to do something like that. I really need to get an exercise program back into my daily routine. I see my mother all the time now when I look into a mirror. :-)

Tanja said...

Hi Catherine, you look great in the jeans but I like you bigger, smaller or whatever you look, I always believe that the beauty of a person is inside. And I think that you are a very beautiful person inside.
But I think that you have to do what makes you feel better.

And I love the photo's of you but next time please give me a big smile ;-)

Have a great weekend my friend
Love
Tanja

LMWIEBE said...

I agree, you should be smiling ear to ear, good for you!

lisa said...

CONGRATULATIONS Cat!
You surely have so much to be proud of, and you are beautiful!

JC said...

Congratulations !!!

Chatty Crone said...

I have to say congratulations and way to go - you did a great great great job.

You looked beautiful before to tell you the truth but you look so much more happy and self confident.

I am so happy for you - hope your mojo rubs off on me!

Love it.
sandie

It's me said...

You look so good now and when you where bigger...i love your face you as woman......you radiates !! and that is the important thing of life if you are big or small...love from me...xxx..

Cat said...

Congratulations Catherine!!!

GreatGranny said...

Catherine, I posted today my 'Inspiration Award' and I'd like to pass it to you when you have the time to come pick it up.

Nancy @ A Rural Journal said...

Yep - I need to lose those same 15-20 pounds that Reena does. I'm working on it -- need to exercise more though.

You look great, Catherine. Good for you! :)

GreatGranny said...

Catherine, I forgot about the Stylish Blog Award that came with the Inspiration Award. It has been around before, but, I'd like you to have it as well. Please pick both up at your convenience.

SweetMarie said...

You look great Catherine! And I think you looked great before. But, I know you are healthier now and you feel better...that's what matters. You are such an inspiration! Thank you for sharing this personal journey with all of us. Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Connie said...

Wow Catherine..thanks for sharing this...I have been struggling so hard with my own little journey, but now I feel re-inspired. So, thanks for that!

You look absolutely fabulous!!! ;)

Donna said...

you look wonderful...i guess i haven't seen you at work for the last few months. I never see you anymore....good thing you have this blog!

my favourite is a white blouse and blue jeans, it is classic!

enjoy your new life!

have a fun weekend Catherine

Katnip Lounge said...

YOU GO, GIRL!!!
What a story, and what a journey. I am so happy that you feel so good about yourself, and that you reached your goal! You look pretty damn fine for 46. Keep on eating...
hubba hubba!

Mariette said...

Dearest Catherine,

You are very brave for writing about this and for posting your photos! Applaud you for that and the results are well worth all the pain, struggles and efforts. You look great and why torture yourself for losing more? And how...?
Great idea about your clothes, another alternative.
For me it's easy to say this as I never ever could gain. Just a few pounds but that is nothing. Weird for having the same size at age 15 than at age 60... But we must all accept ourselves.
Love to you and happy sailing!

Mariette

Linens and Royals said...

Well done Catherine, I think you look great before and after. But it is good when you can tuck your shirt into your pants. I do miss that pretty smile in the after photos. It's when you see your grandmother in the mirror you really need to worry. XX

T's Daily Treasures said...

Hi Catherine! Congrats on making a lifestyle change. I don't believe in diets. 6-1/2 years ago, inspired by Oprah's boot camp, and needing to lose 30 lbs myself -- not wanting to be fat and forty, I started working out with 2 friends. Most days of the week we would meet at Renee's house, I would do the treadmill for about 20-30 minutes, and then we would work our butts off to Jane Fonda aerobics, Kathy Smith weights, Cindy Crawford workouts, Billy Blanks tae boe (only a couple of times, never, ever again), pilates. We really switched it up and that's what allowed us to see so much weight loss and inches gone within a 6 month period. After that, I walked every day that I could and kept up with that for 4 years. I've kept the weight off and feel so much better. Last summer, I gained a few kilos that I haven't been able to lose. Since I stayed here this summer, didn't get out to walk because of the heat, but I know once I start walking again, my metabolism will kick in and I will lose the weight. I never, ever starve myself. In fact, I start to feel nauseous if I go more than a few hours without eating. I eat small snack type meals all throughout the day and that has been successful for me. I totally changed my thoughts on food and 95% of the time eat really healthy. 2-1/2 years ago, I gave up meat -- something in me just started to gag at the thought of it. I can't even imagine chewing it now. I do induldge from time to time but don't feel guilty. Of course, I make sure what I indulge in is really, really, really worth it. :) It's mind over matter for sure. We all know what we need to do, it is just sticking with it and knowing that we are doing the right thing for our health. Keep doing what you are doing. You look great! (I'll be 46 in February :) Best wishes, Tammy

The Smiths said...

Wow Catherine - well done!

We all thought you were just starting out...

Like others, I think you look lovely in all the pictures!

Your story is definitely inspirational!!!

Kay :)

Alisa said...

Great post! I agree, making a public statement can help with staying on top of goals! You look great!

Laurie said...

Catherine!! I'm so happy for you! I'm going to use you as my inspiration, you look fabulous, even though you looked great before. Congratulations!!!!

Anya said...

Wow!!
Catharine
you are a amazing woman :-)
You are so honest
I like that very much.

You are a beautiful woman
I like the for & after pictures

Your health is much more important
and your happiness :-)
Well done .....

ConCatulations !!!

Enjoy life
its so important
:)

((hugs for you ))

Ann said...

Congratulations on your accomplishments and the new healthier you. Personally I think you looked fabulous before or after.

Kat_RN said...

Yeah! Great job! You should be proud of yourself.
You are right that how you feel is more important
Than the numbers, and you have a cute cat.
Kat

(^_−)−☆Star said...

Wow! So proud of you! You came a long way! :) Keep up the great work!

Katherines Corner said...

You are gorgeous is ALL of your photos! Congrats on your weight loss too. I have been working so hard to lose the 20 lbs I have put on in the past year and a half. I hate menopause!!! I like my elliptical machine though and have been wearing a pedometer to get to my goal steps per day (10,000). You inspire me Sending hugs your way and wishes for a beautiful day ahead xo

MedaM said...

You really look great but I also have to say that you are beautiful woman no matter of weight. Yet, I support and respect your effort and I congratulate on your perseverance.

Linda R. said...

OH MY GOSH Girly.. You look fabulous.
You go girl!!!!

Hot Rocks said...

Wow!!! Way to go Catherine ! You look fabulous, dahling! I know how tough it is in the beginning...but all that hard work is so worth it. Keep up the good work...(and stay away from that ice cream)

Barbara said...

You look fabulous! But you nailed it when you said the focus is on the 'health', not the 'weight'. I think that's what most people (as in "ME" until only the last few years)miss. Congratulations!

Stacey Dawn said...

Well Helllllllo Gorgeous!

I'm so proud of you!! Way to go! You inspire me to keep on keepin' on!!!

Thanks for sharing... wow - thanks!

Lin said...

Look at YOU!! WOW! Good job!! The only thing missing in those last photos is your happy smile. You look FABULOUS--why aren't you smiling????

I love Weight Watchers. It works. It's easy and there are no gimmicks. Been on it forever.

Splendid Little Stars said...

Catherine, that's fabulous!! You LOOK fabulous! Yay for you and your perseverance!
(You DID look great before, it's true.)
I think feeling better is what's it's all about.
Congratulations!! ♥

Jaime said...

Oh, that is fantastic! Congratulations Catherine!!
I love your balanced approach to it all...allowing the weight to come off gradually and being patient with yourself... allowing yourself treats...and finding fun things to do to move your body. You completely set yourself up for success, and you did it!!! woo hoo!! Way to go for hanging in there!!
Cheers to a healthier you! xoxoxox

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails