Thursday, October 20, 2011

Project Me ~ The Middle

"I can not change the direction of the wind.  But I can adjust my sails."
~ unknown

So add onto my arthritis some
sleep apnea
(unofficially diagnosed but suspected by my Doctor)
and the ongoing tightness of my biggest pants.

The wind
(time)
was blowing
(more like shoving)
me in a direction
(getting older)
I did not want to go
(poor health ~ poor lifestyle)




But what was I going to do about it?

I had to 'adjust my sails'.
(make my 'sails' smaller so there was less for the wind to catch...haha!)

I didn't want to go on a 'diet'
I didn't want to deprive myself of anything
(I like food!)
I didn't want to give up dairy
(live without yogurt or milk?  barbaric!) 
I didn't want to do any pill regime
(I'm too cheap to lay down that kind of cash!)
I didn't want to give up carbs
(love my multi-grain toast, cranberry rice mix and whole wheat pasta!)
I didn't want to have to live on 'special' prepackaged food
(gross!)
I didn't want to eat only blue food
(Do they even make blue food??? Hmmmm...)

After all,
I've been down this road many times.
I knew it was a 'lifestyle' change.


In January of 2010 I started a food diary
(best thing I ever did)
of what I ate on a regular daily basis
I did this for a couple of weeks
Next, I went to a nutritionalist
(second best thing I ever did)

My 1st problem?

It wasn't about eating healthy
I have been eating whole-grains for years
Love fruit
Love vegetables
(well...OK...those brussel sprouts are a little questionable...)
I don't really eat red meat
(a BBQ hamburger once in awhile)
and I am a 'less than social' drinker

It turns out,
I was only eating between
1000 and 1200 calories a day.

The nutritionalist says to me,
"Did you diet in the 80's?"
Uhhh...didn't everyone diet in the 80's?

I was eating virtually no fat
and had learned 'portion' control so much,
that I was not eating enough.
My body thought I was starving it.

Then compile that with a
Friday night of ordering in supper
(mmmm...chicken wings, chicken quesadillas, fries...)
and the Sunday afternoon 'treats'
(need some chocolate please...)
and all of a sudden
my starving body was holding onto
every single calorie I was eating on the weekend.

So with this new information in hand
I set about trying to eat
more quality calories during the week
and less empty calories on the weekend.

By May of 2010,
I had lost 20 lbs.

I then stalled for a few months.
I didn't lose one single pound.

By Christmas last year,
I was right back to the start.
I wasn't eating enough during the week
and was binging on the weekends.
My weight came back with a vengeance.

What was wrong with me?



to be concluded tomorrow...


Project Me ~ NOT The End, But Rather a New Beginning

(before and after photos included)

NOTE:  I have turned off my reader comments for today.
You deserve a break after reading all that!
I look forward to your lovely and supportive words tomorrow.  ;)

Happy Thursday to you my friends!


LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails