Friday, September 3, 2010

*WARNING* ~ Big Hair With Perms Ahead

If you are lucky enough in life,
you will have a friend or two
that you will remain friends with your whole life.

This is my first one ~ Sharie.
We started working together in 1984
when we were only 19 years old. Babies!!!!

We were the best of friends.
Clearly sharing the love of the 80's
"Big Hair With Perm" fashion sense.

She was there for me when I fell in love.
She was there for me when I got married.
She's still here today.
I went home to Rosetown yesterday
to visit my mom and George.
Sharie and I went out for lunch.
While our hair styles have changed
(though I personally am waiting for the 80's hair revival...)
when we get together (which isn't often enough), nothing else has.
There is still lots of laughing and complaining about our weight
while we are snarfing down some food... :)

And this is my second life long friend.
Wayne ~ a.k.a. Stanley

While we have known each other since birth,
due to my family moving, we had a 14 year separation.
We were reunited again in 1986.
Above ~ our 1st 'official' date.
(LOVED my outfit ~ the bigger the shoulder pads ~ the smaller the hips looked!!!)
Below ~ the young us.
We were married in a hall,
in front of an old saloon bar
by a Commissionaire of Marriage
which was virtually unheard of in small prairie town in the 80's.
My grandma still doesn't think we are legally married... (!!?!)

What on Earth was on the back of my head???
Some feathery, beaded thing... GAAAK!!!
But look how slim I was!! {sigh...}
And honestly...
could have my sleeves been any poofy-er??
Our wedding was not extravagant.
My dress was bought on sale.
(I had it worked out to $25 an hour if I wore it until mid-night!!)
My white shoes were from the SAAN store ~ $14.99.
The wedding cake (plastic) borrowed from a friend.

I wouldn't have cared if there hadn't even been a wedding ring.
(Wayne wonders why I didn't let him know that before he bought one...ha!)
I just wanted to get married to the love of my life.
I would have married him anytime, anywhere, anyhow.
Here we are 22 years later.
Still married.
Still happy.
And he's still my best friend.
Happy Anniversary Wayne!

30 comments:

Brian said...

That was such a great story and I enjoyed the pictures! Happy Anniversary!!!

CatherineLovesRoses said...

Hi Catherine! Both stories are so sweet and full of love, thank you for sharing with us all these beautiful words and pictures.
Waiting for the 80´s hair revival?? Mmmm...Wouldn´t mind some of Maddonna´s outfits to be in vogue again!!Yes, really, why not?? :)
Happy Anniversary Wayne!!!

Enjoy the weekend my sweet friend!

Deb said...

"Happy Anniversary, you two.

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Happy Anniversary, Catherine... I loved seeing all of your pictures... NEAT!!! And --that special gal-friend is great also...I have 3 childhood friends who will always be very special to me... There's just nothing better.

Hope you two have a great day.
Hugs,
Betsy

The Chair Speaks said...

Happy Anniversary!

Hot Rocks said...

Love the pics and the stories of your pals! I have 3 girlfriends and 3 guy friends...all couples, that I have been friends with for about 30 years...and it is just the best thing having these people in my life! Oh yeah, I have photos of them with similar big hair as well...girls AND guys!!

Simba said...

Happy Anniversary! And many many more!

wildcatwoodscats said...

Happy Anniversary to you both! Loved the pics - could our hair and clothes have gotten any bigger????? I have two friends I have known all my life - one from age 4 and one from age 6! We still are best friends! Great post.

Bossy Betty said...

Sweet sweet pictures and reminders of how quickly time goes by!! Happy Anniversary!!

~*~ saskia ~*~ said...

Aw, I just love this post, Catherine. Wonderful pictures. Pure sweetness!
Have a happy happy weekend. xxooxx

BeadedTail said...

I enjoyed your stories and the pictures! It's fun to go down memory lane with you! Happy Anniversary to you and Wayne! You are a lovely couple and I wish you many more years of happiness together!

P.S. You were right, we were both child brides 22 years ago!

Terra said...

Happy anniversary. Your wedding photos and those of you and your friend are lovely. I see a lot of joy in your faces.

Ann said...

Happy Anniversary to you. How lucky you are to have not one but two wonderful friends.

Teresa Evangeline said...

Happy Anniversary! I have a couple of long-time friends and there's nothing better. Hope you're having a fun day.

Connie said...

Awww..*warm fuzzies* What a great story! Happy Anniversary! Have a fantastic weekend! xx

Jackee said...

So sweet! Happy anniversary and here's to lifetime friends! Congrats, you two.

In other news, I wanted to thank you so much for the beautiful card you sent me. My 7 yo daughter loved it too and stole it from me right away to paste in her notebook. The little turkey! Ha, ha. :o) So thank you... from both of us! It truly made my day (and hers).

Jacqueline said...

Happy Anniversary Catherine and Wayne!...A fun post, loved all the photos and you guys look great together...We are the same age and got married at the same time (June 1988, divorced in May 2001); I am single and starting to think about being married again one day=just got to find Him!!...You guys give me hope :)...Hope you enjoy a fun celebration this weekend.

Becca said...

OMG! That is so sweet! I love all of your 80's photos. I think we must be the same age! Young right? Oh boy do I have some big hair photos, and wow, if only I was as skinny as I was then. :-( Oh well, hey I wouldn't trade being as happy as I am now with my hubby for being skinny like that for anything! Happy anniversary to you, and hey it's pretty cool up your way, you'd better get those leg warmers on!

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

That was fabulous! Happy Anniversary...You and I have lived a very similar life and very similar fashions...

Have a wonderful weekend (together)!!!!

Luiza said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!

This is a realy happy story, I get so sentimental!!!!
Thank you for sharing your life , images and story with us!!!
It´s amazing.

Hope you had a wonderful day, with sweet memories , laughter and happy moments, with Wayne.

Hugs, sweet Catherine!
Luiza

Linens and Royals said...

Love old photos and old friends and you do look good in all your photos. XX

koralee said...

Happy Anniversary to you my friend...I love your photos today...it is so much fun looking back..especially at our hair...tee hee I think my hair was just like that way back when...perms were sooooo in...xoxo

Dragonfly Treasure said...

Happy Anniversay!!!!
Loved seeing all the old photos. Beautiful post!!
*hugs*deb

Carole said...

lovely post :) great pictures, & a very happy anniversary :)

Stacey Dawn said...

Happy Anniversary! Great - great images and stories. Love them - and I loved the 80's... ;o) Big hair and all!!

bad penny said...

fabulous ! I had the big perm too as did my best school friend.
Happy Anniversary xx

Lynette Killam said...

I so enjoyed reading this, and it was fun to see all the old styles! It is lovely to have a close friend through many years..even lovlier to share life with your very best friend. This whole story was heartwarming. My husband and I have been married for forty-two years, and it seems no time at all since we started out. You have me wondering if I might want to share our wedding pictures, too..LOL.

Have a good week...

Lynette

Jaime said...

Happy Anniversary!

How lucky you are to have such deep love and lifelong friendship in your life.

Much love to you and yours. xo

Jaime said...

And that last picture of the two of you is adorable!

Katy Noelle said...

Aaaaaawwwww! I'm all teary eyed! You are sooooo beautiful, you know!!!!!

Happy belated anniversary, you guys!

Love, Katy xo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails