Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Photoless Wednesday

Last night I was in a bit of a 'mood'
{and that's all I say about that...}

but

After doing the supper dishes
I went out to my garden to
water my flowers
refill the two bird baths
and reflect on my thoughts
and my mood

It had been a hot day
32C (90F)
I had the water hose set on 'rain shower'
sprayed the water high into the air
letting my plants drink in the coolness
the water sprayed lightly over my two bird baths
the little one about 2 feet from me
the big one about 6 feet
droplets of cold water bouncing lightly
creating a waterfall effect

A robin
who has been enjoying her nightly bird splash
around 7 pm for the last 4 nights
flew into her bath
less then 6 feet away from me
the cool water beneath her
and the fresh water showering down on her
she splashed
she sang
clearly enjoying her nightly routine

This in itself brought a smile to my face

Suddenly
a wee yellow finch
flew down to the little bird bath
an arm's length away
the cool water beneath her
fresh water showering down on her
and following the robin's lead
she splashed
she sang
and clearly enjoyed her refreshing bath

Here were these two creatures of nature
both but a short distance from me
not afraid of me
enjoying the water I was spraying
enjoying the bath I was providing
I think they were both smiling at me

My camera?
Inside the house of course

I could have taken my chances
put down the water hose
ran in to get my camera
risked them still being there when I got back
to capture a photo

But I decided to just stand there
nature putting my world back into perspective
letting the spray of the water
hit me in the face
laughing as both birds
sang and washed
cooled and enjoyed

Sometimes
you just have to live in the moment
with no camera

xo Catherine

20 comments:

Forever Foster said...

That sounds like a really lovely experience :) It was a good decision not to go for the camera. It's more important to experience it than to document it, ultimately :)

The Monkeys said...

Sometimes it's better to enjoy than take a photo. It's such a lovely moment to imagine.

ilovemyhouse said...

You are so right to just enjoy the moment. Sometimes the simpliest things can change your "moo:D". Sometimes you are a true philosopher my dear. Have a great day! XX

Laurie said...

I could see it all vividly without the pictures, you painted an awesome one yourself. To go grab your camera wasn't needed. Thank-you Catherine for such beautiful words.

Linda Robinson said...

What a wonderful post.. I agree that was not the time to grab the camera.. It is so nice to enjoy moments like that.. Who needs a camera I can see it perfectly with your words! Have a great day my friend! ~Linda

Kat_RN said...

How funny, My next post will be photo less too. Hubby and I have been goofing off in the mountains and I did not take even one photo all day (he thinks I should go get checked out).
Sometimes, you have to step out from behind the camera and live.
Hope the mood is better.
Kat

Alina said...

Oh Catherine, how beautiful! There was no camera but I'm sure the "memory picture" will always be there. A memento of a beautiful moment shared with special feathered friends XO

Brian said...

It is wonderful that they got to share the wonderful moment and send you thanks in their songs!

Donna said...

hey Catherine, love this. I am learning to not always run for the camera and lose the present moment. Your words depicted the moment well. It is nice to have that kind of awareness of what is around you to put things in your mind that matter and are real. Great post!

S. Etole said...

It is important to just "be" at times ... and drink it all in.

Luiza said...

What a wonderful experience!!!
And you were so right , not going in for the cam.
You lived the moment, just as I would...
I´m happy the moment took your "mood" away, and replaced it with a smile and laghter.

Have a wonderful day, my friend!
Hugs/
Luiza

~*~ saskia ~*~ said...

Still smiling Catherine, Photoless Wednesday ... My camera goes where I go. Perhaps I should try a short, just a very short moment without camera too ^_^

Have a wonderful Photoless Wednesday! xx

BeadedTail said...

Sometimes photos aren't necessary to enjoy and remember a moment like that! How wonderful the birds found such joy in the water while providing you such joy in witnessing it!

Kirsty said...

What a beautiful post. Paints such a pretty picture!
Banjo is GORGEOUS by the way! His eyes are amazing for such a tabby looking cat! Beautiful!
Thanks so much for following my blog! I love your blog and will definitely be popping by often. =D

Lin said...

Amen to that, pally. I think some moments just have to be experienced and not recorded. I like the story you told and I didn't need the photo--I used the good old fashioned imagination. :)

I'm glad you just enjoyed it.

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

What a really nice post! There are times that just enjoying the moment rather than running for the camera is better. You described it all so well I can picture it perfectly.

Stacey Dawn said...

I, too, thorougly enjoyed this - and sometimes - yes - sometimes - I purposely go out withOUT my camera - to make myself notice and imprint things on my brain. Good for you for enjoying the moment!

Vicki's Bit-o-earth said...

What a great post Catherine! You painted the image just as well without the camera (though I know the tug to run get it too). Nothing like being out with the creatures to put us to rights~ xxxVicki

I am Cat's Mom said...

I can almost see the birds smiling!

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Hi Catherine, First of all let me say Happy Birthday to CANADA today... Our celebration is Sunday.

Yes---I know about being somewhere without my camera. That seems to happen alot... OH WELL-we just need to enjoy the moment, and if we can't share a picture with others, we can at least do what you did and that is to share the experience with words!!!!

Hugs,
Betsy

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails