Saturday, June 5, 2010

Lovely Books & Thank You

I appear to be a very lucky girl lately (perhaps I should go buy a lotto ticket) as I won another prize! Sharon from Random Thoughts, who I only recently found and started following, sent me this sweet book written and signed by the author: My Teacher Dances on the Desk. An adorable book filled with cute poems. Thank you so much Sharon!
Although my boy is no longer little, I do have a couple of adorable wee neighbour boys that like to visit me once in awhile ~ I am going to read it to them. Then, it will get saved with all the other special books that we have kept from when Kurtis was little. Books that perhaps I will read to my grandchild one day. (And let's just clarify that I am still MUCH too young to be a grandmother...no hurry thank you!!!)

Along with the Dr. Seuss, Winnie the Pooh and other cherished books, one of Kurtis and my favourite books to read to him was "Gregory the Terrible Eater". A sweet young goat refuses to eat any of the rubber tires, tin cans and shoe laces that his parents set on the table for him. He likes eating fish, fruit and vegetables instead. Of course, when you read it, one must do a 'goat voice' to really get into the story. One night I had to read it to Kurtis 3 times. My throat was sore from talking like a goat! :)
I've always loved books. Oh the smell and the feel of a new book. mmm..... And I have always taught Kurtis that "books are our friends...be kind to them". His Harry Potter collection, of which we both have read, don't even have the bindings cracked. And that's the way he and I both like it! (So please...do not ask to borrow them...I just can't do it. I know...it's a sickness....)

Kurtis lost the love of reading for awhile when he was in high school. Honestly.... how many Shakespeare books does a kid have to read? Can't the school system update the 'classics' that they have to read? He had to read all the same books I had to over 20 years ago. After all, as long as a kid is reading...it's a good thing...no?

So I send a very big Thank You to Sharon for the lovely book. It will be very well taken care of and cared for and appreciated!

Happy Saturday!
xo Catherine

17 comments:

Stacey Dawn said...

How fun is that?!
Congratulations!

Becca said...

Congrats on your win! I have to say that I am a book junkie, and I mean the "real" book, not digital! I love, love, love my imac and iphone, but don't have any desire to read a book on a screen...it's just not the same.

Laurie said...

It makes my heart happy to hear your appreciation and respect for books. I've seen so many that were tattered and ripped to shreds by other people's kids who weren't taught to treat them gently. You were the perfect one to with Sharon's book!

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Catherine--I'm so glad you like the book. If I had known you were going to post my little note, I sure would have used better handwriting (UGH, I have to work hard to have nice penmanship). Thanks for entering my book give-a-way. :) I'm doing another one this week for a signed women's fiction book.

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

We lost our internet connection here at home and I'm just catching up on your blog--CONGRATS on your award!! I hope you're finding many and great possibilities in your weekend!!! :-))

Brian said...

That is so cool...and so is Sharon, we like her blog lots too!

m.e (Cathie) said...

aww, I love blogland, full of such amazing people & so very generous with their sweet words & gifts.
hope you have a happy day Catherine

BeadedTail said...

Congratulations on your prize! I love to read and have since as long as I can remember! I also am very careful with my books so no cracked bindings here either. There's just something about the look and feel of a brand spankin' new book and I just like to keep them that way!

Kat_RN said...

Congratulations! I love books too and reading them to little ones is magic.
Kat

Connie said...

Oh my, you ARE very lucky! That's awesome!
"Gregory the Terrible Eater" was a fav book for my girls also, and just like you, I spent many nights with a sore throat from doing the goat voice... over & over again :)

Jacqueline said...

Congratulations on winning the book; I've always loved books too and the escape they provide, the adventures they allow us to take...Hope you are enjoying the weekend Catherine...Kisses to Banjo!

robynart said...

Hi Catherine, reading is such a great pastime. That book sounds like fun. Hope your week-emd was wonderful! xxRobyn.

Luiza said...

Congratulations to your new book!!!

Oh, yes, the smell of a new book is special, I love it too.

Wish you a wonderful day!
Hugs/
Luiza

ilovemyhouse said...

I always read a lot books with my children. I always said, i not always into games ( monopoly etc)but i will read a book with you anytime.Now all my 3 children are book lovers, but sorry Catherine all my books look terrible afterwrds. Have a happy sunday. xx

koralee said...

I have all my children's childhood books too...could not part with any of them...we have our "special ones"...Happy Sunday

Katy Noelle said...

I see that we feel the very same about books. Unfortunately, my oldest son, who loves to devour books, just doesn't seem to have the awareness of how not to love them to death. Mind you, this is not a complaint. I'm just saying that our poor Harry Potters are mush (and being read AGAIN at this very moment.)

Katy Noelle said...

Gosh! I just realized that I haven't even thanked you for the award, yet. I'm run off my feet with these puppies! I'll get there, although, I don't know if I'll have a chance to go in depth. Well, I just got the encouragement from it all over again!!! Thanks!

Love, Me xo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails