Monday, May 10, 2010

That's The Way The Cookie Crumbles & Other Lessons Learned...

Life is full of lessons. Some are profound ~ some are just little reminders to 'think' before you 'do'.

Exhibit 1
~ a cute little owl cookie cutter. I had been looking for an owl cookie cutter for quite some time. I finally found one on Amazon.ca for $1.50 where I always order books from. I popped it into my 'shopping cart' and left it there. A month or so later, I went to order some books (ensuring I was ordering enough to receive free shipping and handling), and happily clicked the 'purchase' button. Much to my shock, I realized too late that the owl cookie cutter was not covered with the free shipping and handling of the books. My $1.50 purchase was costing me $12.49 in shipping and handling fees!!!! What???

Lesson 1
~ double check what you are paying for before you click the 'purchase' button!
But I really really wanted it so I anxiously awaited my parcel and soon it was in my mail box.

Exhibit 2
~ happily I set out to make owl cookies on Saturday. As my mom had brought me some pure vanilla from Mexico, I went onto cooks.com and found a vanilla cookie recipe. I mixed the ingredients together, excited to be making my owl cookies and looking forward to decorating them. After putting candy beads on for the eyes (expensive little things they are...), watching them puff up in the oven, after one cooled, I took a bite (one must always test their baking before passing it on to friends and family)....GAAAKKKK!!!! Blahhhh! They were gross! I asked Kurtis and Wayne to have a bite. Yup ~ they agreed ~ disgusting cookies! So into the garbage they went.

Lesson 2
~ do not use untested recipes from the Internet. Especially do not make a double batch.
Exhibit 3 ~ after throwing the rest of the uncooked dough and cooked, undecorated cookies into the garbage, I set about cleaning up my mess. I filled the sink with hot soapy water, donned my rubber gloves and washed my dishes. I pulled out my new owl cookie cutter and...what??? How come my owl is so skinny? What the heck?

Lesson 3
~ be careful with metal cookie cutters in hot dishwater. They contract.

sigh...not to worry...I was able to bend it back into shape.

It's ready to use again another day...on a more dependable sugar cookie recipe!

23 comments:

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Ha Catherine... The exact thing happened to me tonight when I was ordering some pills from Amazon. A bottle was about $3.50... SO--I decided to order 8 --which would have been about $28.00 plus shipping and handling --which I thought would be about $10 total. WELL---the total came to about $60.... In other words, they were going to charge me $32 for shipping and handling --of 8 little tiny boxes of pills. I immediately cancelled my order... That is ridiculous. Wonder how many people get rooked like that??????

Sorry about your cookies... I'm sure you'll find a good recipe soon.

Hugs,
Betsy

S. Etole said...

Thanks for passing along this reminder ... that is a pretty cute owl!

BeadedTail said...

Well at least the blue eyes on the white owls came out cute! I hope you find a yummy recipe worthy of the cute owl cookie cutter and real vanilla!

Jacqueline said...

That cookie cutter had some bad karma attached to it, but hopefully, you washed and bended it away!!...I hope your next batch of owl cookies are wonderful!

Alina said...

Wow, that little owl certainly came with a story! Sorry about your cookies, you must let us know and "see" whenever you find and try a better recipe :0) I've left something for you at my Caravan, please stop by and get it XX

Stacey Dawn said...

The cookies look adorable - sorry they tasted so icky!

ilovemyhouse said...

They were just not meant to be these cookies! Funny, because when i think about you i think that you are perfectly organised and acurate(don't know why). I smiled when i saw what happened, this could be my story!You'll try again won't you and show us the results? xx

Flaviana said...

Catherine
I'm sorry for the disappointing cookies but your post made me laugh nonetheless.. I love how you write ! If it may be of any consolation the cookies might have tasted bad but they looked adorable !!
Have a nice week my friend
Flaviana

robynart said...

Hi Catherine, that would put me off cooking for quite a while I think. But I've been caught like that myself with those readers recipes sent into magazines. I'm sure they don't test those ones either, as the ones I've tried never seem to turn out. Well if you do try again I would like to see the photos, the little owl cutters are cute, and maybe you could give us the recipe if you have time, ha?? Happy baking, Robyn.

Hazydaisy said...

Your owl cookie cutter is so cute, I'm sure you'll find the perfect recipe for him.
I loved this post, Catherine though I'm sorry to laugh at your misfortune!!

bad penny said...

Oh I am giggling - sorry but too funny ! The owl shrinking ... I can't believe it !
I've done the same from Amazon - or double clicked on an order - easily done !

Forever Foster said...

At least you know that the cookies will look cute when you find the right recipe! :)

Brian said...

I don't think it was your fault, probably just a few owl feathers in the mix!

m.e (Cathie) said...

ohhh no!!
hopefully the next recipe can't be any worse.
hugs lovely Catherine

4smartmonkeys said...

Maybe the recipe was for cat cookies, I'm sure Banjo would love to eat owl shaped treats :)
Myabe it should have been tuna flavoring instead of vanilla!!!

Anya said...

Lovely owl cookie :))
Very creative !!

Kiki said...

Hi Catherine...fabulous post! Thanks for all the lessons and tips! yay! well said!
Kiki~

Katy Noelle said...

Oh, I feeeeeeeeeeel for you!!!

Katy Noelle said...

Nobody said it, so, I will! You're the one turning into a wise old owl! =] Silly, I know. sorry!

Connie said...

Sorry about your cookies! That sure is one cute cookie cutter though!!

Hot Rocks said...

Oh my gosh, I don't think that those little owl cookies were ever meant to be! Perhaps you should try cat cookies instead?

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

This is another reason why you don't wash things in hot water--They shrink! :-) Glad you got it back into shape! I collect cookie cutters and have had that same thing happen!

Lin said...

I would never think to use an owl cookie cutter, but they sure are cute! LOVE the eyeballs!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails