Thursday, May 27, 2010

Nine Years Ago Today...

9 years ago today, a girl from work brought in a box of kittens. 6 adorable balls of fluff. All destined to live in a barn. I looked into the box and one of the kitties was sitting quietly, staring right at me. I picked up the wee caramel colored stripy kitten with the bright blue eyes and said "Hey, this little guy matches my furniture ~ can I keep him?" And that is how Banjo came to live with us.

This spoiled, pampered kitty was not meant for farm life. No indeed....

But spoiled and pampered leaves you with the dilemma of...

what do you get a cat who has everything?

To celebrate the day he came to live with us, I wanted to get him something special. {Only a pet lover can understand the need to throw a party on their pet's birthday or adoption day...no?...haha....}

But...Banjo already has a comfy cozy pillow to sleep on.

He has his own food cupboard with oodles of canned food, dry food and special treats.
He has one of the fanciest fresh water fountains that any kitty could hope for. And he is on his 3rd timed food dispenser. {He keeps trying to break into them and therefore ends up wrecking them!}

He has more toys then he knows what to do with and a comfy perch in the living room in front of the big picture window in order to view the world outside. And the love we show him is abundant....so...

what on Earth do you get for a cat who has everything?

It's simple!

You instead buy some supplies for those kitties at your local SPCA who don't have anything and give thanks that your special furry friend has a warm and loving home. They are always in such need of not only kitty and dog food, but towels, bleach, kitty litter, laundry soap and garbage bags. And they are always so thankful when you drop it off.

Honestly, this little care package below did not even add up to the price of Banjo's food for one month. And Banjo doesn't seem to mind that he didn't get anything for his birthday or adoption day this year.

I think he knows a good deal when he sees it!

The life of a barn cat was not in the stars for this big boy!

I'm so glad the girl brought in that box full of kittens that day Banjo. I could not imagine my life without you.

Happy Adoption a.k.a. Gotcha' Day Banjo!

26 comments:

Flaviana said...

Catherine my friend
you did the absolute best thing you could do !
I'm sure Banjo appreciate your thought for the less lucky pets! Well done !!
P.S.I do have two cats and two dogs and yes, I do make a fuss of my furry friends birthdays (or adoption day anniversary!)
Hugs from me
Flaviana

Lin said...

Happy Gotcha Day to Banjo and the whole family!! What joy a kitty is!! I love how you donate to the shelter on that day--it's a GREAT idea! Our G'ma Phyl helps out at the shelter and she is always saying they need things.

I love your photography, Catherine. You'll have to teach me a few things with PS--I am always envious of what you can do! Did you take a class??? I want to know how you make your header--LOVE the boxes over the tulips!!!

Oh! Give Banjo a big smoochie from us. :)

Laurie said...

Catherine! As I sit here in my room surrounded by a stray mother and her kittens, you KNOW I love this post!! What a beautiful cat Banjo is, there is a little caramel color one here that I've been eying! As a humane society volunteer, I can so vouch for your gift on behalf of Banjo, all these are so desperately needed by any humane society, and I would encourage everyone to do the same! Thanks for such a great post, and Happy Day Banjo!! You are truly one blessed kitty!

Katy Noelle said...

=]

Marg said...

That is such a good idea to do that for the shelter. Our Mom is going to gather some things together and do the same thing.
So Happy Gotcha day Banjo. You sure found a good home. Glad you gave the Mom that stare. You sure have a fabulous Mom.
Have a super day.

The Monkeys said...

We think that is a wonderful way to celebrate Banjo's Gotcha day!

S. Etole said...

It looks like everyone was a winner the day Banjo arrived ...

BeadedTail said...

Happy Gotcha Day Banjo! He was such a cute little kitten and he is certainly a very handsome Mancat! This is a lovely post and we can tell that Banjo was destined to live the life of luxury and not in a barn! It's so wonderful that you donate all those items to the SPCA as a way to celebrate his Gotcha day!

Brian said...

What a wonderful Gotcha Day story! Some things are just meant to be and Banjo and your family is one of those things. The donations are such a lovely tribute to your sweet Banjo! Hey Banjo, you really are special!

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

I love your post and it again reminds me of why cats were my "first love!!" What a wonderful tribute to a very handsome cat that has made a difference in your life and home, and YOU made a difference for too!! THANKS for sharing him with us today!!!

Jacqueline said...

Happy Gotcha Day beautiful Banjo!...A lovely, wonderful gift for the homeless kitties; I love your kind heart Catherine!...Kisses to your adorable baby!

Hazydaisy said...

What a lovely post! Happy Gotcha Day, Banjo- you certainly landed lucky!

Anya said...

Happy Gotcha Day to Banjo :-)
So so touching story !!!
I love his nose SO CUTE :-)
Its such a happy story...

Kareltje was found in a paperbox
he was dumpt for a vacation
and we have adopt him(11 years ago)
Its a sad story
but he has now a live as a king
:))

Banjo we love you ....
Hugs
Kareltje & Anya
=^.^=

Stacey Dawn said...

Happy "Gotcha" Day!!!
What a fabulous idea - to buy supplies for other kitties in need. And how blessed you all are to have found each other!!

4smartmonkeys said...

Happy Gotcha Day Banjo!!!!
What a great gift:)

~*~ saskia ~*~ said...

Happy GDay. what a cutie! xx

Kat_RN said...

Congratulations Banjo and what a good idea.
Kat

Connie said...

Oh Catherine..what a sweet story!! And what a wonderful thing you did today in his honour. Every now and then we do that and it feels so good to help out.

Happy gotcha day sweet Banjo! xx

koralee said...

What a beautiful cat...I adore the last image of him..I will have to post a photo of my daughters cat one day! Hugs for a great Friday. xoxox

koralee said...

Just me again...noticed the book you have on your sidebar...The Worry Cure...is it worth getting..my daughter is always worrying..how do you feel about this book?..xoxoo

Hot Rocks said...

Banjo is very a very lucky and special cat to have such a wonderful home! What a fantastic way to celebrate his adoption by helping less fortunate kitties. Banjos Mommy is very special too!

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Hi, That Banjo is one VERY LOVED kitty.... I'm sure he knows it. I love your idea of giving supplies to the SPCA in honor of Banjo's adoption!!!!! That is just so neat!

Have a great weekend.
Hugs,
Betsy

Becca said...

Oh, I love your little Banjo! I am nuts about my 2 cats so I just wanted to say hi from one crazy cat lady...love your photos!

Jaime said...

You are so cute...you chose him because he matched your furniture!! lol!
And what a thoughtful soul you are, helping out the SPCA..what a generous and kind gift. Banjo is one truly lucky cat! He lives the good life. :)

Nishant said...

That is such a good idea to do
PPC Advertising India

HubbleSpacePaws said...

How awesome!!! Sorry I missed your gottcha day, Banjo, but maybe belated good wishes make the celebration go on longer. Please ask your momma to give you some tummy snorggles from me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails