Sunday, May 9, 2010

And then they surprise you...


Each of us {my hubby, son and I} have a story we like to tell over and over again. Wayne's is the story of when he was young and he was hit in the cheek with a flaming marshmallow {don't ask him...or he'll tell you....}. Kurtis' is from when he was about 10 years old and he broke his arm {though it looked perfectly fine to me} and he had to wait until I finished watching the last few minutes of the final episode of Survivor before I took him to the hospital. {In my defence his knee was gushing blood and I was tending to it while I was watching the show...again...his arm looked perfectly fine...}. And mine is from last year Mother's Day, when Kurtis proudly gave me a wire garden cat that he purchased from Dollerama...for a dollar...that I found out later he asked his dad if he wanted to go halvesy's on it. {Honestly...halvesy's on a dollar...sigh...}

But since last years Mother's Day gift faux pas', he has been making up for it. He picked out a beautiful Christmas present for me {all by himself} and a wonderful Birthday present {all by himself} and this Mother's Day it was an adorable garden rabbit I received from him.

But what was better then all those lovely gifts, was the card he picked out for me and the words he wrote inside. I will keep those precious words between he and I but I can tell you, reading them made me cry.

You think your child doesn't realize the love you have for them, that they are oblivious to what you go through as a parent...and then...they surprise you....

I hope everyone had a most lovely day ~ whether you were celebrating Mother's Day with someone you love or spending a quiet day by yourself.

Warmest thoughts,
xo Catherine

17 comments:

Katy Noelle said...

The day was lovely for me, thank you. Aren't we mothers so strangely human and frail sometimes? With me, it's a bit more than sometimes, alas! No joke! My Mom and Dad always tell me I'm doing a great job. They say, "just look at your wonderful children". It really gives me hope that we're going in some kind of direction. I really think we are! =]

Love, Katy Noelle

S. Etole said...

what a neat card to treasure forever ...

Luiza said...

It´s quite funny... All over the world, you celebrate Mothers day, but here in Sweden...
We celebrate Mothers day the last weekend in May. That´s odd, and I don´t know why we do that.

Well, I hope you had a wonderful Mothers day, this year aswell.

Have a great start of the week, my sweetie.
Hugs/
Luiza

BeadedTail said...

It's wonderful you had a lovely Mother's Day! This was a very touching post - thanks for sharing a part of your special day!

Vicki's Bit-o-earth said...

So true Catherine... you go along, struggling to be a good Mom, and don't think your children realize how hard you try and how much you love them... until one day you get "that card" with "those words" that just make you melt. They do know and understand. And one day they'll REALLY understand (when they have a child of their own) (:

Happy Mother's Day~

Stacey Dawn said...

How sweet...
Happy for you...
Glad you had a great day!

bad penny said...

How lovely - we've had Mothering Sunday here & I had flowers from my two. Last year I went on & on about not being appreciated & at Christmas Jess bought me a gorgeous bottle of perfume & wrote on the card " I know you sometimes feel we don't appreciate you but we do love you Mum" It was so special.
Joe kept the very sharp stone that he trod on one summer ( it went in very deep & the wound needed glueing at hospital ) The stone realy does look like an ancient arrow head & Joe likes to tell the story in detail !

Forever Foster said...

What a lovely post :) I had to laugh at the dollar store gift. For about 3 years, for every birthday, Mother's Day and Christmas, my poor mum got an assortment of animal shaped soaps from the Body Shop that my brother, sister and I would proudly present her. It's the thought that counts, right ;)

The Monkeys said...

I'm happy to hear that your Mother's day was perfect! The garden bunny is adorable!

4smartmonkeys said...

I'm so happy you had a lovely Mother's Day!
Sons are funny, they show love a little differently than girls. But it's such strong love.

Alina said...

The best gift of all, an unexpected message of love. Glad you received one on such special date xx

Jacqueline said...

My Mom has notes and cards I gave her 40 years ago=a Mother's love is priceless!!...So glad you had a lovely Mother's Day Catherine; Kurtis sounds like a sweet young man...Happy week friend.

Brian said...

I am very happy that your special day was very special, because you are!

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Cute story, Catherine. It's not just the 'gifts' we receive from our kids... It's the love they are showing us... My son came to see us yesterday --and brought me two gorgeous hanging baskets... Made a Mama happy--and long with beautiful card which made me cry!

I hope that when your son is 38 yrs. old, he'll visit you and bring your something special also.

Hugs,
Betsy

kittykye said...

Hee, oh boys will be boys eh? :D I think that is absolutely adorable, and that your son is super sweet for those gifts!
I hope you had a fantastic Mother's Day! I certainly can see that you are a wonderful Mom :):):)
~Lyndsay

Connie said...

I am so glad you had a special mother's day...you deserve it! xx

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

I'm so glad your family made your Mother's Day such an enjoyable one!! I love your bunny!! Of all my garden statues, my rabbits are by far my favorites!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails