Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Good-Bye...I'm running away to join the circus...

...to become a side-show attraction...

OK...so I have posted a couple of times about the love of my teeth. I know it's vanity, I know there are way more important things in life, I know it's an irrational love of a technically replaceable body part...but enduring 2 years of braces, 1 year of wearing a retainer, dental surgery, gum cuttings, not to mention the nice $10 grand you throw towards the Orthodontist, will do that to a person...

So picture this act of stupidity... yesterday at work... while trying to do some major thinking... chewing on a pen to help me look like I was really thinking hard... I CHIPPED MY FRONT TOOTH!!! What? Are you kidding me??? GAAK!

OMG...I totally look like Lloyd Christmas (a.k.a. Jim Carrey) from the movie "Dumb and Dumber"!

I showed all my coworkers and retold the harrowing experience to my boys last night at the dinner table. Later last night, I was standing at my bathroom mirror, once again accessing the damage. Kurtis came in and said "Mother...it's not that bad."

Not wavering from my spot in front of the mirror, cringing at my reflection, I cried out in disbelief "What? Are you blind? It's as big as the Grand Canyon!" (To clarify ~ I've never been to the Grand Canyon ~ but I hear it's big.)

"If you wouldn't have pointed it out to everyone, no one would have even noticed."

"Kurtis! I am a freak! I am running away and joining the circus as one of the side show attractions!"

"When are you getting it fixed?"

"Tomorrow morning..."

And with that he roles his eyes and walks away from me...

Hmmm...when did my 19 year old become so sensible and when did I become so irrational...?
Photo Credit: Google images...there's so many copies out there...who the heck knows who originally owns it? The movie company or Jim Carrey I guess!

16 comments:

robynart said...

Oh dear, you poor thing, I know how that must feel. And inside your mouth always feels worse than it actually is. Don't worry tomorrow it will be all better again, and you'll no longer feel the need to join the circus!!Lol!!I'm sure your family will be relieved!! Tomorrow will be a better day, hugs Robyn.

The Monkeys said...

With all the work you've had done, it's understandable why you're so protective of your teeth! Good luck at the dentist!

Sharla said...

I feel bad for you Catherine, but I am positive you can NOT look anywhere near as bad as that pic!!!

Alina said...

I really needed a good laugh this morning. Thank you! You sound like me, my kids say I am a bit "dramatic" :0) Hope your smile is back to normal soon xxx

Brian said...

Ouch! I know you will be mended really soon!

Jacqueline said...

Catherine, I think all beautiful women who care about their appearance would feel that way!...Glad you got the dentist appointment so quickly, you'll be good as new!

bad penny said...

OOPS ! My mum (80) had a front tooth fall out & we were going to her oldest friend's lunch party before she could get some
( major ) dentistry done - she kept asking me if she looked OK !
Hope you get all fixes up soon & will have your twinkling smile back x

Betsy from Tennessee said...

It's because it's the FACE..... My teeth are not great --but if I chipped one, I'd be at the dentist ASAP... But---I don't think I'd be ready to join the circus... It's not THAT big of a deal.

We all allow our looks to control us WAY too much. As you know, I've had a weight problem all of my adult life (since my first son was born). i felt ugly and unappealing for so many years. FINALLY --with George's love and help--I now have learned to love myself and accept myself just for WHO I am. Life is much better now, and it is all about what is on the INSIDE and not about what is on the outside!!!!

Hugs,
Betsy

S. Etole said...

Thinking you have a beautiful smile no matter what ...

BeadedTail said...

It always feels way worse to us than it really is but I do hope you get it fixed soon!

Vicki's Bit-o-earth said...

Oh Cathrine, I sooo relate!!! I endured braces for 3 years... and at least half of what you listed to have my straight teeth... so we deserve to be proud, right?! Right! But I have to tell you that I also had a good chuckle over your descriptions of it looking like the Grand Canyon (which I have been to, and it is BIG!) LOL I know your smile will once again be gorgeous, but oh the pain of it all!

koralee said...

Cute story...so sad for you though. I will remember not to chew on pens!!!!Good luck tomorrow. xo

HubbleSpacePaws said...

Catherine, I beg to differ. You sounded perfectly rational (and side-splittingly funny) to me!

Mind you this comment is from a woman who has stood in front of the mirror and said, "Gaaahhhh... when did my pores get so big? They're the size of the Grand Canyon (not that I've been there, but I've heard it's big)!"

Yep, sounded perfectly rational to me!

Addicted to The Click said...

Oh Cat - I'm so sorry and so glad you are able to get that fixed. It would drive nuts too!!

Romantiska Hem said...

Hej Du Rara!
Jag ville bara kika in och önska dig en riktigt trevlig påsk! Kram Petra

Prints the Cat said...

I hope the fix is easy and inexpensive! I don't blame you about wanting your teeth to look nice. I think I mentioned this before, but I've had braces and retainers. Then retainers again. And now retainers even AGAIN! Now I am religious about wearing them every night. I'm not letting my teeth get crooked again.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails