Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Remembering To Be Thankful

I have had this poem by T. Lambert, Jr along with Kurtis' finger prints and picture in a frame on our bedroom wall for at least 12 years. I look at it and read it often. For the last couple of weeks I have been looking at it and reading it every day.

We take so many things for granted. Health being one of them ~ our own and the one's we love. There is a family in particular that has been on my mind and in my heart for the last couple of weeks. They are starting on a long path with their child, who is only a few months older than my Kurtis.

Our children, no matter how old they get, will always be our babies. We do anything we can to protect them, but sometimes it is still not enough. Sometimes things are out of our hands.

I reread this poem again tonight and remember to be thankful.

All my thoughts, all my love to any parent that needs it tonight...

12 comments:

Kat_RN said...

My children are grown, it happened so fast. One minute I was reading them bedtime stories, the next they were on their own. We have been lucky so far, I feel for anyone with sick children too. They are our treasures.
Kat

S. Etole said...

they grow so fast ... now my grandson just turned 12

Jacqueline said...

Everyday is better with gratefulness=being grateful is a real gift!

BeadedTail said...

My children have fur but I still find this a lovely post and a reminder that nothing should be taken for granted.

Connie said...

It seems like only yesterday my girls were babies. It's hard to believe that now my baby has a baby of her own. Time flies! But you're right...no matter how old they become they will always be our children.
My heart goes out to the family with a sick child and I will hold them in my thoughts & prayers.

Dragonfly Treasure said...

I have the same poem from my two youngest up on the wall, with their fingerprints.
They do grow fast! My youngest is almost 19....boy, I'm getting old
*hugs*deb

HubbleSpacePaws said...

Oh, Catherine, good thoughts going out for your friends. And thank you for the reminder on not taking so many blessings in our lives for granted!
Hugs!
Lisa

Brian said...

That is very pretty! I'm thankful every single day!!!

I am Cat's Mom said...

That is such a beautiful poem and I loved how you put it together when Kurtis was a wee boy. Your words and thoughts are so wonderful and you will always be my little girl. I continue to be so very proud of you and all you have accomplished. I love you so much!

kittykye said...

What a great message that is. I couldn't agree more. When I see some people with the serious challenges they face, I can't help but be thankful that I have what I do. My wishes for this family to be strong through whatever challenge they may have.

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Love this post, Catherine.... My sons are still my babies and yet they are 46, 40 and 38.... GADS!!!!!

My prayers are with the family who has challenges ahead... It's never easy!

Love your mother's post...
Hugs,
Betsy

Jaime said...

I am not a parent, but my heart feels this post nonetheless.
xo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails