Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Doctor's Orders

Can you believe my Banjo is under Doctor's orders not to lose any more weight? (3o lbs) How about now? (16 3/4 lbs)
I had to take Banjo to the vet the other day (nothing serious) and we found out he lost another 1.25 lbs in six weeks. Too much weight loss too quickly for a kitty! So he is under Doctor's orders to eat more. He is at 16 3/4 lbs and was at 18 lbs at the beginning of December. I want to get him back to 17 lbs and try to keep him there for awhile.

It's very hard to try and stabilize a cat's weight let me tell you. So for now ~ it's extra food for Banjo and a trip to the vet's every second Saturday to weigh him to ensure we get his weight stablized.

He's been on a diet since he was 1 years old. He was 18 lbs at the time and a vet insisted he go on Science Hill Weight Loss food. We 'dieted' him up to 30 lbs. (Don't even get me started about Science Hill pet food....my opinion only of course...)

After I studied and researched cat food on my own, I found a food with high protein (meat as the first ingredient) and it didn't cost me $40 a bag I was used to paying! Only $6.49 a bag - and the weight started coming off.

So for awhile Banjo will be getting an extra scoop or two of food!

Gosh...I wonder what it would be like to have my Doctor tell me to eat more? I'm sure I'll never know. ;)

15 comments:

BeadedTail said...

Banjo is going to be one happy Mancat for awhile! I don't even know how much Angel and Isabella weigh although Isabella could stand to lose some weight. Hope Banjo gets to the purrfect weight soon and that he is healthy at whatever weight he is!

4smartmonkeys said...

Banjo-you better get that weight on, start grubbin' down :)
I hope he starts gaining for you.
Best wishes!
My Mikey is 25 lbs, I wish I could get him to shed a few lbs.

SquirrelQueen said...

You're looking good Banjo! Maybe that's why Miss Cindi Lou is getting closer and closer to the computer screen, meow!

Anya said...

For me you are looking GREAT
I am also on a diet :(
Its not funny ....
I will think on you

Hugs Kareltje =^.^=

Brian said...

So exactly how do you get on that Eat More Food list?

kittykye said...

Uh yeah, I want to be on that list, too. Lucky Banjo!
Seeing that top picture, wow! He was such a HUGE boy!

The Monkeys said...

Our Mom wishes she had that kind of doctor's orders too!!

Our food is high protein too and it is cheaper (in the long run) than some of those vet diets and we feel a lot healthier!

Marlene said...

oh Banjo! Good luck with the weight management. I know how that goes. My beloved Q was on a diet for most of his adult life. It was not easy.

And yes, I'm with the others. Wish I was on the eat more list!

Julie Magers Soulen said...

Oh my goodness he has lost a lot of weight! Banjo is lucky to have a caring family. I agree about Science Hill. Don't get me started either! LOL

Cheers!
Julie
Julie Magers Soulen Photography
Blog of Note

S. Etole said...

the new slimmed down version is looking great ...

Connie said...

Good luck with the weight management Banjo! Perhaps you could give our(24 lb)Shadoe some advice...lol

Splendid Little Stars said...

Wow!

Jaime said...

I'll bet Banjo is loving that doctor! Don't we all wish we had a doctor like that!

Prints the Cat said...

Wow, your Banjo was 30 pounds! It's great he loss so much weight. But, I guess time to feed him lots of treats, doctor's orders :-)

GreatGranny said...

Sweet Banjo must feel better weighing less and I hope his Doc can find a happy medium weight.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails