Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Dearest Deer...

We have a very large family of deer that live within our city limits. While they can sometimes be a bother ~ especially when partaking in a little snack of your carefully planted garden or your most expensive perennials ~ they can also be a source of pure enjoyment for those of us who can sit in the middle of nature all day.

They {I counted 15 the other day} can usually be found in the little wooded area beside our Research Station. On Monday I spent at least 1/2 an hour sitting outside {freezing my extremities} my car, watching and taking pictures of them. They aren't really scared of humans ~ perhaps that is a bad thing. But as one in particular kept inching her way towards me ~ I was loving every minute of it.









I think that the next time I go ~ I will bring them some carrots...

12 comments:

Kat_RN said...

Wow! How pretty. Well worth the cold. Thanks for sharing these photos are great.
Kat

Kat_RN said...

P.S. I was so enthused about the deer, I almost forgot to tell you how much I like the montage on your header. Good work.
Kat

BeadedTail said...

Such wonderful photos of your neighborhood deer! They are such beautiful and peaceful creatures.

I also like your new header - especially Banjo's blue eye!

Sharla

MedaM said...

I completely enjoyed this wonderful post while looking at those so lovely creatures. They posed for you…I envy you. You have taken wonderful photos of them. Thanks for sharing.

Brian said...

WOW, I would love to see something like those beautiful deer outside my window!

katrina lauren said...

love the new header for your blog! very pretty....
hope all is well! chat soon!
k

kittykye said...

Oh, those are gorgeous shots! They are such beautiful animals, aren't they?

I also love all the site upgrades! The new banner is awesome. :)
(Q: Is that Michael Bublé's new CD "Crazy Love"? Is it good? I don't think I've heard any of it yet)

Anonymous said...

We had a "pet deer" in Webb...for last Christmas actually. He was the sweetest thing and played with all the local dogs. We fed him dog food and carrots and whatever else he felt like eating and he would eat right out of the kids and my hands...oh how we loved him. Someone complained to the Conservation Officer about him eating their gardena nd would you believe they came out and shot him?!?!?!? How the @#$% is that CONSERVATION?!?!? Anwyay, these pics reminded me of him...I'm jealous!

Sharla

Alisa said...

How beautiful! they are so fluffy compared to our California deer!

Your header photos are such a lovely mix, I love the combination you came up with!

S. Etole said...

Between your new header and the deer photos, I just keep thinking ... "Wow!" The deer here are white-tailed deer and don't have the large ears and softer bodies yours do.

Kamana said...

how delightful to be able to be in the midst of such lovely creatures.

Jaime said...

So beautiful. They remind me to slow down.
They also remind me to get some netting for all the plants they devour in my garden every spring. I am going to win this year.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails