Tuesday, November 24, 2009

A Memory of My Dad

When I was 18 years old, I bought myself a new 10 speed bike. {That's 'dating' myself ~ but so be it!} I had only had one other bike in my life, from when I was about 6 - 8 years old, with purposely bent handle bars and a 'banana' seat. {Again...yes...I am that old...} That bike my brother took apart and sold the pieces...and did not even give me the money...{another post for another day that one....!!!}

Anyhoo, so I bought myself this bike and my dad put it together for me. A girlfriend bought the same bike at the same time and my dad put it together for her as well. He was a good dad ~ putting together my friend's bike as her dad wasn't around. I was so proud of him always.

So my friend and I rode and rode our bikes all around Rosetown. I moved to Brandon, MB when I was 22 and I took my bike with me. I moved to Neepawa, MB when I was 23 and took my bike with me. I moved to Swift Current, SK when I was 24 and I took my bike with me.

Once I had Kurtis, I no longer rode my bike. At about the same time, my dad was going to buy himself a bike. He wanted to bike ride to work and get a little exercise. I told him "Hey dad, don't buy a bike, just take mine!" So he did. Back to Rosetown, SK my bike went.

Well, as fathers often will, my dad decided to make my bike "better". He exchanged the butt crippling seat for a seat that looked like it should be on some farmer's tractor. He put a basket on the front in order to have some place to put the mail when he picked it up. He exchanged the curved bicycle handles for 'old fashioned' straight handles. It no longer looked like my good ol' 10 speed.

After a little while, due to his heart condition, he could no longer ride that bike. He said to me, "Here, you can have your bike back."

I looked at the now, very uncool bike, looked at my father and replied, "Uhhh...I don't think so..." We both laughed. "Why?" he asked. We both laughed some more. "Like I'm going to be seen riding a bike like that!" "What do you mean? There's nothing wrong with that bike?" We laughed about it for a long time. He would ask me every once in awhile if I wanted my bike back. We would both start to laugh and I would decline every time.

I think it eventually got sold in a garage sale.

My dad has been gone now for almost 11 years...

I wish I still had that bike...

15 comments:

Donna said...

oh what a beautiful story about your dad he sounded like a loving father. The bike would be nice for you to have but your memory of it is even better. Have a good day!

kittykye said...

Aw, that really is a nice story. It made my heart all fluttery. It's funny the little things that one remembers about people they've known in their lives. It's nice to have those things to think back and smile about.

S. Etole said...

what a great memory to carry in your heart

Marlene said...

That is a very touching memory. Thank you for sharing it with us And for the record, I had the same kind of bikes growing up too :D

Hazydaisy said...

A lovely story, funny and poignant at the same time.
Thanks for your visit, looking forward to sharing with you!

Alisa said...

Funny story, and touching!

Kat_RN said...

Beautiful story, I can see my Dad putting together a friends bike, and I can imagine him altering one just like that, but I can't imagine him riding one. You might not have the bike, but the memorie of the laughter is better.
Kat

BeadedTail said...

Such a lovely story about your dad. Thanks for sharing!

I had the same kind of bikes too!

Jaime said...

That's a sweet story.
I used to have a bike with a banana seat too...baby blue. I loved that thing. Haven't had a bike since, I hate to say.

Dorothy said...

awe...you still have the unforgettable memories and sharing them here gave us a taste of your wonderful life with your dad.

Blessings

Dorothy from grammology
grammology.com

cristie said...

this story reminds me of some regret i have been feeling of late...i threw away the wrong stuff. xox

katrina lauren said...

Such a sweet and special memory! You may not have that old bike, but you will always have the memories of it...a reminder of how special your Dad was!
xo.
k

Cat Ludwig Studio said...

Such sweet memories! My dad was similar to yours...we are very lucky:)

HubbleSpacePaws said...

Oh, Catherine! How beautiful. I just know your dad is smilin' down!

Cat with a Garden said...

That was a very sweet story to share. Wonderful memories and were sure they bring a smile every time. Don't worry about the bike, it's continuing his story somewhere.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails