Wednesday, July 8, 2009

He's Gone...

The 80's...so often it is remembered as the worst decade for hair and clothes. As a child of the 80's I must disagree. The mullet and white poofy silk sleeved long button up shirt...come on...that was a fashion statement! {all right...in my defence that's not actually a mullet I was sporting...the sides of my hair are up in combs...} But either way, absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about. Yes...the picture above is me - office Christmas party 1984.

People seem to forget all the good things that signify the 80's as well - to mention a few: more women finding their way to the top of the ladder in the corporate world, the beginning of MTV, video games, home computers, Madonna, Michael J Fox and of course Michael Jackson. Which at that time, in my personal opinion, he was the persona of cool. Yes...he got a little messed up in the end, but for me, the 80's was his decade. Watching his funeral on TV for most of last night {yes Wayne...I'm still watching that...!!!}, I feel like a small piece of my young adulthood died with him. It's hard to watch public figures that you idolized getting older, sick, passing away. I finished reading Michael J Fox's "Always Looking Up" about his struggles with Parkinson's disease and again, felt a little bit of my youth slip away.

So - I will cherish my youth in the 80's and remember them with fond memories and look forward to the day when the 80's hair returns...for I have faith that it one day will...and mark my word...I shall be the first in line to stock up on extra hair spray...

And with that clarified, I say:

Good-bye Michael Jackson...thank you for the joy you brought me for many years....listening to your music and watching you dance...peace be with you...

2 comments:

Donna said...

back in his good days Michael Jackson was my idol - I mean come on "Billy Jean" song and the smooth dance steps and the tipping of his hat he was COOL BEYOND COOL - I loved his music !

I can't say anything about hair as my hair has always been very short but I did own a puffy sleeved blouse {gray satin thank you very much}

I love "let's be honest" posts - have a good day Catherine!

Anonymous said...

You are just the coolest daughter !!!! If in fact the word "cool" is cool. Is it? You always look at me funny when I use it. ????

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails