Thursday, June 25, 2009

Random Thought - Expensive Taste

**WARNING** For those of you who don't like reading long posts - I totally understand. Please feel free to skip this post {no hard feelings} and come back tomorrow for when I promise you that I will not babble on and on like some blithering idiot... :-) That's a funny word...blithering...ha ha...


So...I have been awake since 12:30 am. It is now 3:30 am as I am starting this post. I have had about 3 hours of sleep and unless I get off this computer right now, I do not anticipate going back to sleep before going in to work. For everyone that has to deal with me today - well - let me just apologize right up front. Forgive me...for I do not know what I say or do...


OK...so with that out of the way, I was thinking about different stuff {must - shut - brain - off} and I was wondering - why - 'back in the day' when I was a part-time teller {now they have a fancy name; Member Service Representative...} and making much less money than I do now, were my 'tastes' in things different. Take for example, my make-up. I never really have worn much make-up but back when I was not exactly pulling in the dough, had a small child, paying rent, etc. I was satisfied using Cover Girl face powder. This was in a big ol' tub with enough powder to last at least a year.

Now, I am making a reasonable wage, we are done paying for Kurtis' braces, school books, clothes, etc., don't have the payments we used to, and so I now have a little bit more 'disposable income'. So why is it, I can no longer use the tub 'o' powder from Cover Girl at $8.99? Why is it my face just has to have an "organic" face powder that comes in the itsy bitsiest tube and costs $60 and may last me two months. See the little, lite colored strip in the tube below? Yup - that's it. That's all the powder there is in that tube. But, it does have a pump dispenser {little button on top} that when pumped twice, automatically goes into the attached brush dispensing just the right amount of powder. And it does have a SPF of 30! That's good. Plus it's organic! No chemicals and for me with my allergies - that's a very good thing!

Now, don't get me wrong, I know this face powder would still not be good enough for the Jennifer Aniston's or the Oprah Winfrey's of the world, but that's my point. Your tastes change as your income changes.

When Wayne and I first got married and moved to Swift Current, we were broke. BROKE! He was working for a furniture store - moving/selling furniture and I was a teller. The rent on our apartment was fairly expensive. For entertainment on a Saturday night we would walk to 7-11, buy an extra large slurpee each (99 cents!) and an extra large big bag of sunflower seeds ($2.29), and sit and watch movies all night on our 19", stereo sound TV. {Satellite TV came with the apartment - thank goodness!}

Now on a whim, we will leave our extensive DVD collection and our 46" flat screen HDTV with surround sound, whip to Medicine Hat, go for lunch, do some shopping, have supper, go to a movie, stay over night in a hotel, go for breakfast, do some more shopping, have lunch and then drive home. Again - not too extravagant for Richard Branson - but it's a long way from sunflower seeds, a slurpee and repeats of the movie "Dumb and Dumber" on TBS!!!!

So what was my point in this very long post? No point. Just a sleepy observation from a gal who couldn't shut her brain off long enough to go back to sleep.

And with that, it is 4:27 am and so I shall go make a mug of tea and head to my bath tub...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand completely! I both have trouble sleeping, like you, and have gotten much more expensive tastes as our income has gone up. We are a bit different though...we haven't put kids through school and should be saving, but save schmave...live for today I say!!!

Sharla

Anonymous said...

so true but it does seem to reverse it self as the income declines again in retirement. I really do not care if I even have makeup on and clothes mean nothing as well as entertainment. And the circle goes on.....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails