Saturday, April 18, 2009

Out of My Comfort Zone

I don't like to get out of my 'socializing' comfort zone very often. It's hard for those that know me socially and through work, to believe that I am actually quite shy around people I don't know. People who I work with see me as very talkative {OK...like REALLY talkative...}, usually laughing and joking around, always up for a funny story or a little 'conversation side tracking' - but get me in a group of people I am not really familiar with - I clam up! I hardly say 'boo'. Get me in an unfamiliar social setting where there is loud music and a lot of talking - it gets even worse - as I actually can't hear that well out of my right ear and so combine that with my shyness, with the loud music and lots of loud talking...well...let's just say people that don't know me, in that setting, will probably never get to know me as lots of times I am just 'smiling and nodding'...{and hoping what they are saying is requiring a nod!!!}. But I went out last night - until after 10:30 pm (!!!!!) to a fund-raising auction with the love of my life {that would be my husband...not Colin Firth} and his friends, and even though it went waaaay past my bed time, and I was sitting with people I didn't know {except for one gal from work who was technically my 'social life raft'}, and my usual Friday evening routine was turned upside down {hence the picture of the Red-Breasted Nuthatch above}...I survived.

All is right with my world this morning.... :-)

2 comments:

Donna said...

good for you Catherine! stretching our comfort routines is sooo difficult I am glad you got thru it. I like your honesty in this post ...i have always said we could all write a book about ourselves and day to day struggles and joys. Have a good weekend.

Anonymous said...

I totally get what you're saying, Catherine...I always say the same about myself and no one believes me either! I'm glad you found this situation to be all right...now you can use it visualize future situations positively like Lou has taught us!!

Sharla

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails