Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Blast From The Past

MALIBU BARBIE....I received you Christmas of 1972...oh what joy you brought me. How cool was it that you came with sunglasses? How I wanted to be so thin and popular like you. Ahh....you were so often my best friend! I played with you well into my early teenage years, changing your clothes and hair style. Where are you now my Barbie dearest...I have lost you in one of my many many moves...I think of you often....you gave me so many hours and years of pleasure...you were always there for me when I was lonely and needed someone to talk too....you were the best....
KEN!!!! Dear sweet "Mod Hair Ken"...you were so handsome with your changeable beard, mustache and side burns...you were never far from Barbie's side...always giving her space when she needed to just be with the girls...but always there when she needed a date to the prom...alas you now lay in a storage box somewhere underneath the stairs, with a broken leg, "mod hair" lost many years ago, dressed in a home-made (very sadly hand sewn by me) Superman costume...your cape made out of Malibu Barbie's sacrificed, gorgeous, red, prom dress...and because I had a son that I love, you lay there...your manlyness stolen....wearing blue tights....you will always be Barbie's #1 man...
THE BARBIE BEACH BUS!!!! How AWESOME was it that I had the Barbie Beach Bus! Oh what hours of fun Barbie, Ken and I would have, driving you around, from my bedroom, to the living room, to the kitchen. You were absolutely the coolest.......until the F*r*u*a*s*n (blocked) girls got the Barbie Camper....bigger....more furniture....more accessories....could fit more Barbies....WHATEVER!!! Oh those girls...always the best and most expensive toys for those sisters....luckily they were my BFF's when I was young so I got to reap the benefits of playing with all their cool toys...I thank you for being good share-ers...I couldn't have asked for better childhood friends....even though I always had to be "Kate" when we played "Charlie's Angels". Never did I get to be the sexier Jill or Kelly....for me it was always the more boring, plain looking Kate....just once I wanted to be Jill or Kelly....sigh.....that is OK....I love you both still.....singing together in our "girl band", in your basement, to your whole collection of "Bay City Rollers" records will be cherished childhood memories for the rest of my life....I thank you both....

1 comment:

Donna said...

i don't think i got to own a Barbie but i loved dolls and they had to have long hair so i could watch the hair flip back and forth. Yes barbie and ken were a hot item back then and i enjoyed this blast in the past post. it was fun!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails