Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Antique Card Collection

My Great Aunt (the same one from "Thoughts About Dead Relatives" post) loves to save stuff. She gave to me a number of years ago her 'card collection'. These are very old cards, some dating back to over 100 years ago, that her and her husband got from when they were kids on up to when they were newly married. A lot of them are from England and Scotland. Some of them are so delicate, I don't even like to touch them. I put them in a photo album so that you could see both sides of them but not have to touch them.
There are cards that are hand stitched. The workmanship is extraordinary. Very intricate. I looked them up on ebay once. Some of these cards go for $30 to $50 each! I have several. You lift the little flap and there is a teeny tiny greeting card inside. Very cute! Click on the picture to make it bigger so that you can see the hand stitches - very exquisite!
There are cards that are personalized. "A" for Arnold (my maiden name) with personalized insides. Mr. & Mrs. S. Arnold - that was Sydney Arnold, my great-uncle, who is the husband to the great-aunt as above. You can see the date on this 1st card. "1913" The Santa card in the bottom middle is "3D". It is very delicate and flimsy - this one for sure I don't like handling too much. It's very cute! (The picture doesn't do it justice.)
There are stamps on some of the post cards. "July 23, 1905" - cool huh?

An invitation to a party. March 20th, 1924 at 8:15 pm....who starts a party at 8:15 pm??? I guess they were very precise back then as to when they wanted to 'get this party started' huh? 75 cents got you a 'musical program, dancing and cards'...sounds like a good deal to me! The bottom left post card is from the "Doodledoo's"....who the heck were the "Doodledoo's"???? The middle card with the kitty on front has a little story inside - cute! And the bottom right is a post card advertisement looking for mail order brides. It says "Why don't you marry a millionaire by parcel post?" If only it was really that simple....am I right ladies?!!??

So those are just a few cards from my cherished antique cards - I think they are quite interesting to look at and thought I would share!

4 comments:

Laurette said...

This is great stuff. I love looking through old items. I love old pictures. Very neat.

Donna said...

wow...... what a treasured collection..those hand-stitched cards are AMAZING

katrina lauren said...

these are great! what beautiful keepsakes...i love the hand stiched cards....

cheryl said...

Much to beautiful to be in a photo album. I wonder how they could be displayed? Can you ever imagine in 100 years some one ooohing and ahhing at our cards? lol me thinks not....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails