Friday, January 16, 2009

Idiosyncrasies

id·i·o·syn·cra·sy (ĭd'ē-ō-sĭng'krə-) n. pl. id·i·o·syn·cra·sies
1.
A structural or behavioral characteristic peculiar to an individual or group.
2.
A physiological or temperamental peculiarity.

I venture to guess that everyone has some kind of idiosyncrasies that other people can not understand. Things that other's would think "What is the big deal?" or "Do they have nothing more important to worry about then that?" Not taking into account their own quirks and weird little habits.

In Wayne's family there has been many a 'hot' conversations about not putting the milk jug on the table until you are ready to pour it into your glass as it will get too warm...now I ask you...how warm can a 4L jug of milk, sitting out on the kitchen table for 5 minutes get??!!? One day I am going to take a liquid thermometer and test it. That just seems so irrational to me.

Now - the fact that I refuse to open a book that I am reading too wide in order to prevent cracking the binding...well...that just makes good common sense...!! (Please NEVER ask to borrow one of my books...I just can't do it...)

Small things that drive me crazy:
~ When your favorite author, whose books you collect, changes their book size (see above photo)
~ 'Dog eared' pages or mistreated books (books are our friends - treat them as such!)
~ Licked fingers to turn the pages of magazines (eeww!)
~ Stickers that don't come off (there are some that it doesn't matter what you use on it - special remover or not)
~ Toilet lids that are not closed (not seat - lid - what's the point of having a lid if you never put it down - who wants to look into the toilet - gross!)
~ Guests that use your 'Guest' towels (they are just for show people!!! plus probably have lots of dust on them from sitting so long!)

Well I could just go on and on but I will stop there.

Sadly, I have passed quite a few of these idiosyncrasies onto my son. Kurtis won't buy 'used' video games at EBGames as we have yet to find anything that will take the stickers off the plastic case. He too takes very good care of his books and has always taken good care of his toys. I was very obsessive compulsive about his toys being neat and tidy (toys of similar nature, stored in "see thru" stackable buckets, and put away nightly thank you!) While I think I am much better now (!!?!), I was noted in saying to him once when he was young, "One day when you are 21 years old, you are going to thank me for the fact that your toys still look brand new!" Yes...I know...that one sounds bad now even to me...

In the end, I guess we all have to remember:

One person's 'normal' is another person's 'whacked'!!

whacked
- idiom - slang
1. Exhausted.
2. Crazy.
3. Under the influence of a mind-altering drug.

3 comments:

Brandi said...

This was a great post....I can so relate with some of list expecially the towel one. I can be thrown into a nasty mood if company uses decrative towels.
I also enjoyed how you stated that you would not like to lend out any books. Thank you for the laugh!

Donna said...

you have listed at least 16 things about you in all your posts and the honesty is refreshing. I remember when we took the employee relations class together at the college and you were adamant about the text books and how shocked you were that i was going to pencil in or highlight in one of them! funny now...
idiosyncrasies are what make us unique (liked or not liked!)

Anonymous said...

The milk thing is not so much Wayne's "family", but my own idiosyncrasy! I'm just a fussy milk drinker! I refuse to drink milk in a restaurant as I don't know how long it has been sitting out!

Cindy

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails